Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We are impressed with your insights! Please respond to Learning Logs for Chapter 4 below.

20 comments:

  1. Danielle wrote:
    "Some students simply call words and fail to correct miscues. They believe that reading is orally reading words without constructing meaning. They are unaware of the mistakes they make because they are not reading to make sense of text,"

    Like Danielle, I too did not realize the number of students who have difficulty comprehending the information they are reading- those who say the words but are unable to abstract any meaningful information from a piece of text. Until the first night of class, I had never even hear of the term "word callers" but now that I am more aware of the idea, I have been seeing in more and more with my students. Teaching math, we really don't read much except to understand directions, but even there many students need the oral clarification of the directions they read in order to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany wrote,
    “[Continuous diagnostic assessment] is a way for the teacher to assess growth by gathering data about students’ unaided performance in the text that is used for guided contextual reading. In this way, assessment occurs during an instructional setting, a critical aspect of diagnostic teaching.” Pg. 59

    Brittany, I think you made a really great comment about this passage in regards to the role that test anxiety can play in student success (or failure) at reading assessments. Something like the QRI is meant to be simply informative (a test to drive student instruction) but student anxiety about the fact that it is a “test” can severely limit a students’ performance. Like you, I agree that giving the test in a classroom the student is comfortable in, explaining the purpose and use of the test and reassuring the student to that assessments like the QRI are not counting for a “grade” is very important. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie wrote:
    Before reading with a student for guided contextual reading or diagnostic assessment, the teacher should get a few books together for the student to choose from. Allowing the reader to choose what they read will increase the students reading engagement. Before we read the book, we should look at the title, the front cover, and maybe do a picture walk depending on the reading level to help the student make predictions about the text. The teacher should go over any vocabulary words that they think the student may not know before they begin reading. During the reading the discussion should focus on the main theme of the text. After the story is finished, the student should analyze the text and answer questions.

    I think the notion of previewing and reviewing texts to familiarize and aid student with comprehension is essential. Even though I teach math, highlighting unfamiliar vocabulary, talking about big ideas and key points is absolutely necessary. I think the need to pre-read is even more important as texts get more complex and lengthy. Though reading textbooks and directions is pretty much the extent of the reading I have to teach for my content, previewing skills such as the ones Walker describes are usually for all content areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to Lauren's comment: p.60: "Effective diagnostic teaching results in a balance of contextual Reading with strategy and skill instruction."
    Students need guidance while they read. Mini lessons that include points or new strategies that enhance comprehension are necessary for students to benefit fully from instruction. Having them talk throughout heir comprehension or actively modeling how the teacher comprehends text is beneficial.

    I never really realized until I took this class how powerful modeling is for students who are struggling with reading. Think alouds can be powerful for all readers because this is one way to provide those students with a model for developing the skills they are lacking. We use think alouds daily in math class, and if reading is also a skill, than it makes sense that applying these skills to ELA can be equally as powerful. I think that this literacy class has provided us with many examples of strategies we can use for struggling readers, as well as the think aloud strategy. This makes it easier to transfer these strategies into our own classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie wrote:
    Page 69: "The focus is communication between students and teacher; therefore, the teacher should not correct any spelling or grammatical errors."

    This could be difficult, especially if they are repeated errors. However, I think it is important for students to feel that they are able to express themselves without red pen worry. Besides, reluctant readers are often reluctant writers and having these types of students practice writing for enjoyment will give them a toe-hold into developing their ideas on paper.

    I agree with you that repeated errors may need to be addressed by the English teacher in order to keep them from repeating themselves. If they are grading grammar and spelling on the Regents exam, then although we do not want students to get a paper back full of red pen, there may be some easy errors that need to be addressed with a simple reminder.
    Maybe this question of whether or not to correct student spelling errors depends upon the nature of the work. If it is a journal entry or a personal reflection, than I think the teacher should look at the students' work holistically instead of correcting for little insignificant spelling errors. If it is a piece of technical writing however, maybe correcting spelling is necessary. I think it is up to the teacher's discretion in these cases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayleigh wrote: “Effective diagnosis teaching is supported by a balance between text selected by the student and text selected by the teacher”

    I like this idea a lot. I think that it will help the students more because they will have a connection to the text they or their classmates select. I also think that having a balance between texts such as the style it is written in helps the students become better overall readers. For example the language in a textbook differs from a pleasure reading book. The different types of writing styles I think will be beneficial to the students in literacy.

    In response to Kayleigh's comment, I think the ideas of balanced literacy and choice is essential to student motivation. While there are some pieces of literature that are high interest to students, there are certain texts that are revered for their literary elements, and those necessary for the Regents exam. While I would never want teachers to teach to the exam, balancing student choice and mixing up the types of literature read would make sure that students are exposed to all types of texts under the teacher's guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with kscannell when she quoted the chapter by saying "Effective diagnosis is supported by a balance between text selected by the student and text selected by the teacher." I also think that is is great to allow students choice when it comes to their reading but I also feel that sometimes as the teacher, we need to make the choice for our students.
    I agree with bmatiash when she talks about personal literacy. Personal literacy is very important and the diagnostic session allows for this. I too think it may be difficult for teachers to find time for this but I feel that some of the best work comes from students when they have chosen their own books or ideas for writing. This is something that I will make time for in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. K. Jones said ...

    “Strategy and skill instruction is like many regular classroom lessons; however, it is different because it is specific to the readers’ targeted concerns in reading.”

    I think that in the ideal classroom setting, all instruction would be targeted to the reader’s specific targeted concerns. However, since this is not always possible given the differing needs of a class of 25 students, I think it is important that schools have a reading specialist or literacy coach who is familiar with the students’ needs and can address these concerns on a one to one basis. In the Niagara Falls district, since it is nearly impossible for reading specialists to service every needy student everyday, they have invested in a series of computer programs to aid with reading and language skills. Besides teaching students essential skills students may be lacking, this program then adapts itself to aid students depending on their strengths and weaknesses, targeting students’ concerns in reading. While I know that this cannot replace the benefits of working with a literacy specialist, I think it is a step in the right direction to differentiating instruction for each struggling learner.

    I agree. I've been working in Niagara Falls for the past 5 years and it is impossible for reading specialist to serve all those students who need that extra help. I wish it wasn't that way but there are other programs that Niagara Falls district added. So I do agree when K. Jones says it's a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. E. Benigno said ...

    If the students do not experience "choosing to read and write," they may not define literate activities as a part of their lives. Personal reading and writing allows time for students to define their literacy interest, to read and write for their own purposes, and to read and write without failing because they establish their purposes. (Pg. 69)

    Reading should not be an obligatory part of a student's life. To ensure this, I want to provide my students with so many different types of books at many different levels. I've already started my collection of books that I want to share with students, whether the books are picture books, fun novels, or the classics. All are important and should be available to the students. I also love the idea of a journal where students can records their favorite parts of the book, their thoughts, and anything else. The journal won't have any standards but it'll be there for the student to go back and reflect.

    When I read her response it made me feel good. That's how I want my classroom library to be. I want a large variety of reading materials for my students. I don't want them to ever be bored with what I have in there. I always want the students to want to read and never have them feel as if they have to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with EMusto's third point about giving students a reason for including the selected strategies in the student's reading program. I especially like how she mentioned that the purpose for using the strategy may give students motivation to use the strategy more often. I think that students need to see the real life application and importance of a reading strategy to value it and be driven to use it. If students realize that they may need to use that strategy in their future to achieve their goals, then they are more likely to embrace it and use it willingly. EMusto referred to math and architecture, but reading can't be escaped. There aren't many, if any, professions out there that do not involve some type of reading. So if students foresee the need to read, they may be more motivated to use the reading strategies introduced by the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would just like to elaborate on LPolizzi's third point. I think a big part of reading instruction is knowing your students (their strengths and weaknesses) and being able to plan according to their needs. I think this includes being able to identify some potential struggles and incorporating strategies to ease or eliminate those struggles before, during, and after reading. This can range from vocabulary instruction (as LPolizzi mentioned) to a prereading discussion of the topic that will be read about to retelling after the text has been read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My response is to MTruesdell's point on personalized reading and writing, students are engaged in 10 to 12 minutes of self-selected reading and writing. I agree with this response. I think it is very important for students to choose what they would like to read or write about. I also went to the same school as Michelle. I was a few years behind her but I also had to write in a journal. I enjoyed writing in a journal because you could write about anything that was on your mind. But also as a child I remember wondering why the teacher had us doing this. My teacher never graded them, never looked and them, and never commented back. I have been in classrooms during my learn and serves or student teaching placements where students had to write in a journal. Sometimes the teacher gave them topics to write about or some days they could write about anything. The students were to turn in their journals and the teacher would comment on their journal. I think this is a great way to communicate with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My comment is to MCarter on students are taught to match books to their reading level by using the "thumb" technique. This works wonderful in the classroom. Unfortunately I am working with an age level that I am unable to use this technique. While I was in my student teaching placement in a fifth grade classroom, the teacher and students taught me this rule of thumb. It is a creative way for the students to determine their own reading ability.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CCroff says…”Reflection: I completely agree with this and believe this idea holds true for most activities and assignments. Allowing students a choice in reading and assignments gives them a sense of independence and ownership about their learning. They are more engaged in the reading because it is something they are interested in and can relate to. I know that when I have to read for my classes, I am much less focused and interested in the reading if I am uninterested in the topic being discussed. The same holds true for assignments and projects. When I am allowed to choose what I want to do for an assignment or project, I take much more pride and ownership in it. I like the freedom to bring in my own ideas and be creative with whatever I decide to do.”

    I really agree with this. I have always tried to give the students that I work with a choice so that they would be more involved in what we were doing. I was not given that kind of control too often, but whenever I was, I definitely liked to give them choice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. M Truesdell says “I think that the rereading of familiar texts not only creates easy and challenging tasks but it also creates a great opportunity for the student to increase their confidence toward reading as well. If students are able to build a little confidence in themselves, it will go along way toward helping them to become better readers.”

    Rereading of familiar texts is a very good strategy to help the reader gain confidence and fluency at any level. They make repetitive books at the lower level for this reason. So at the higher levels, we just reread.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In responce to C Monteleone's comment about not correcting journal entries. I agree students need to be free to write with our fear of being graded on every single error they make tat has nothing to do wiht what they wrote. I have observed a teacher who for the first 10 week does not grade journal entires on spelling and grammar, but then after the ten week she challanges the students to go back and edit thier paper and gives them a grade on how well they can catch there mistakes. I think this gives them the opportunity to get comfortable with journal writing and then when it comes to looking at the spelling and grammar it is focused on them and not the teacher.


    In responce to C Croff's point about there are others ways to determine if there has been improvement besides tests. I agree that some student completely panic when they hear the word TEST. I have a handfull of students who I know are capable of the materail but somewhere between the knowledge and the answer on the paper they just lose it. But on the other hand I have students who do not always demonstrate the knowledge when being observed and can do very well on a test.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In response to L.Polizzi's second point, I like how she pointed out the student's comfort with familiarity. I was reading another book, The Read Aloud Handbook by Jimn Trelease, and he was telling a story about how a mother would introduce a new story to her child. The child did not like new stories because the words and the new context was intimidating. The mother, over a few days, introduced the book by flipping through the pages, looking at the pictures, reading one or only 2 pages at a time until the child was comfortable enough to enjoy the book.
    Even as adults, we don't learn everything right away...We may have to read articles or watch shows two or more times to grasp all of the details and children are the same. Repetition of text can only benefit the student.


    Also, in response to C.Monteleone's 4th point, I feel that there is always a time and place for a red pen and corrections. I agree, when a student is expressing his or herself, the red pen should be left alone. However, you can use those writings to see what sort of mini lessons could help that student. Then, on given tasks, correct the student. I feel that way, the teacher won't stop the student's thought process. Also, the student will then expected to be corrected.
    Correcting grammar and spelling needs to be separate from analyzing responses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is in response to Kayleigh’s post on how she focused more on the skill instruction than time spent reading. I did this a lot last year when I was teaching high school. I look back on it now and realize that a lot of the reading that I had my students do was outside of the classroom for homework. In class we would work on reading and writing strategies. Now that I am in the middle school I am beginning to incorporate more reading into my class and am modeling skills for them to use during class time.

    This is in response to Musto’s blog on how students need to look at the text as a whole. I think this works hand in hand with reflecting on what they have just read or worked on. This skill goes beyond comprehension – it goes to the “why” and “how” questions that students need to be asking themselves. I always have my students do a short reflection at the end of a short text or even a novel, whether it is something formal or informal. It is important that they don’t just put the text down and not think about it again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with L. Polizzi's 2nd comment about how students find comfort in rereading familiar texts. I also believe it is a huge confidence builder. I put texts that I have already used, during shared reading, read alouds and guided reading, into "browsing baskets" for my students. This strategy makes my young students eager to read these familiar books while building self-confidence.


    I like Monteleone's last comment on using charts to encourage self-assessment. I think primary teachers should introduce this strategy at an early age to increase the number of students who will grow and benefit from this process. I will definitely put a self-assessment chart in place once I'm back in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  20. D. Brown wrote that while she was student teaching her students had 10 minutes of silent reading daily, but there never really was time for them to independently free write. I have noticed that most ELA classrooms do not give students ample time to write about topics that interest them. Once, I observed students free write, and a group of girls wrote poems about their lives. This was some of the best writing I have ever seen from these girls!

    K. O'Brian wrote that she has used reader's theatre with her primary students to engage them in reading and writing. Working in the middle school setting I have never really observed reader's theatre with older students. However, I have watched them read plays aloud. Some students are very engaged by acting out the part of a character. They really get into it. I wonder if anyone has observed reader's theatre at any of the upper grade levels to see how it works.

    ReplyDelete