In Response to C.Croff's fifth point, I agree with the idea of teachers trying to find more than one strategy that will be useful for the reader. It only makes perfect sense. Active readers use multiple strategies and they avoid the strategies that do not work for them. Any student needs access to a library of strategies and then they can select which work for them. The teacher needs to work with those student who do not know of or do not know how to use different strategies. Once we can present them to the students then we'll see some success.
I agree with K.Obrien's first point about vocabulary. Teachers rush vocabulary lessons, I feel. Teachers who just present the word then the definition and think that students will learn need to change their lessons. Not many people can just remember a set of new words in one lesson or so. However, if teachers take the time to introduce the words, connect them with the book or students' experiences then I feel that the rate of vocabulary acquisition will increase.
K. O'Brian stated: "After the targeted vocabulary words were introduced and a discussion about how these words related to the selection was conducted, the second segment was read with an error rate of 1/50 and 90% comprehension." p. 123
If only all teachers could understand this. I think targeted vocabulary is a huge piece of the "Meaning Puzzle" with comprehending texts. Many teachers assume students know the vocabulary words, but many don't have a clue. If the time was taken by teachers to review the vocabulary ahead of time-most students would be able to construct meaning of text much easier!
In regards to this point, I am not an English teacher, but just from doing the QRI on one of my students, I have learned how important vocabulary is and how tricky it can be to diagose reading difficulties. For example my student was able to read all of the word lists at an instructional or independent level. So this might lead one to believe that she understood what she was reading or what these words meant, however as evident from her scores on the reading passages, this definitely is not true. I welcome the strategies to help her learn vocabulary because this may be one of the things we work on as I tutor her.
C. Croff said... Key Point #1: For this student, a text that was read near frustration without teacher direction could be read at independent reading level with instruction by the teacher.
Reflection: I think this goes to show that proper instruction can result in improvement in reading achievement. Struggling readers can make great strides in reading when they are given the proper tools and instruction to succeed. I have seen situations in which students try to complete a task or assignment independently, but give up or fail when they become frustrated. When they are offered some suggestions and guidance on how to approach the task or how to rethink their approach, they are able to complete the task or assignment independently. I think this helps students feel better about themselves and makes them more willing to approach challenging tasks in the future.
In regards to Casey's point, this leads me to believe that struggling readers can be best served if they are in classes with other struggling readers or those at the same reading level as them. Then instruction can be at their level, and tasks can be appropriate to their reading ability. However in the texts that we have read, they all state that heterogeneous grouping is what is best for students... leading me to wonder what is actually best for students. Maybe a heterogeneous English class with a homogeneous group of struggling readers in an extra literacy period? I would like to know what other schools do, and how other experts say we can be help our struggling students.
M. Truesdell said... Modifications of hypothesis can occur as the teacher responds to the student's needs during instruction.
When we first started reading this text, I thought how can I change up my entire lesson plan during my lesson? Then I finished a week long substitute job in a second grade class and I realized that this is what good teachers, including myself do everyday. We figure out mid-lesson what is working and what is not and then we adjust. We assess how each student is doing and then we continue on accordingly.
I think that you make a good point in regards to the spontaneous interventions that 'good' teachers do everyday - often times seemingly without thinking. It seems natural to teachers who have been doing it a while, however for newer teachers who are unfamiliar with the content or more concerned about what they are doing than what the students are doing, it is not so easy. However providing interventions and adjusting as necessary is crucial to good instruction and is a key to student success. This is also one of the perks that comes with experience!
I agree with c.croff when she states "I think this goes to show that proper instruction can result in improvement in reading achievement. Struggling readers can make great strides in reading when they are given the proper tools and instruction to succeed." Poor readers can do so much more when we are able to sit down and help them. I just wonder, as a classroom teacher, where can this one-on-one or small group time be found? I think it would be great if reading teachers and classroom teachers could be more in sync so that the reading teacher knew what the classroom teacher thought the student needed help with and vice versa. Maybe if they both focused on the same things, the students would learn and retain the information better!
K. Obrien made a good point about vocabulary instruction when she states that if teachers went over the vocabulary before a reading, students would understand and gain more meaning from the reading. I have subbed in classrooms where I gave the students the five new vocabulary words and what the words meant as a mini-lesson. I also made sure to mention the words in the readings and where ever else I could find them. If we read a different story and the vocabulary words were in there, I mentioned them. If we had a few minutes at the end of the day and played hangman, I used the vocabulary words again. I think all this repetition and the use of the workds in context is waht helps students to retain the meanings. I would even have students would come up to me when they were reading something and they found a vocabulary word.
My response is to J Jones on her comment on teacher investment and how it is necessary to engage the student in an active interpretation of the text. As she teaches, the diagnostic teacher adjusts her instruction to the needs of the students. I think this passage is great. I agree with J Jones that it is hard as a beginning teacher. You never really know where your students will have trouble until you teach the lesson. I think as years go on and you teach the same lesson you know what worked and what has not. Also in that passage it talks about the teacher reflecting on the lesson. This is when you write down what went well and what did not.
My response is to C Croff on the comment on the diagnostic teacher focuses on teaching rather than testing to reveal those instructional adjustments that produce reading change for a particular student. I often wonder sometime myself if teachers forget that there are other ways to determine if change or improvement has been made without testing. I think that the teacher observing and having class discussions are one of the best ways to check on change or improvements.
“ For this student, a text that was near frustration without teacher direction could be independent level with instruction by the teacher.”
Connie, Your quotation from chapter 7 (above) reminds me of Vygotsky’s Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD), which essentially says, we teach at the level where our students are uncomfortable independently until they gradually develop the skills and confidence to work at that level on their own. Especially with students in the upper grades who have struggled at reading for so many years, I think is important as you highlighted that teachers recognize their role in helping students experience success and that they provide students with opportunities to experience success often.
“Prior to instruction, the diagnostic teacher decides on certain task conditions that will enhance learning for a particular student.”
Kayleigh, I think you make a really interesting point by reflecting on this passage as a differentiation strategy. You mentioned the imporance and successes you had with differentiating assessments, I think it was likely because the students were more successful (and thus were more motivated in future tasks). (I will have to look back at the text) but while I was reading your ideas I was wondering what sort of "conditions" Walker is refering to. I immediately thought of the readability of an assignment but I also wonder if Walker mentioned the importance of student choice and ownership in tasks.
Karrie Jones responded to the following quote in her blog: “During the diagnostic lesson, records of the instructional modifications are kept so that the amount and kinds of teacher intervention can be identified.”
I agree with her thoughts about recording and reflecting on interventions used during instruction. I have found it very useful to videotape or have someone else to observe and offer advice for future lessons. These tapes and other professionals offer insight that you do not notice or see while you are teaching. Videotapes are also a great way to go back and pysically observe (first-hand) your own teaching styles, lessons, interventions during instruction, and how they affect student understanding. I have watched some lessons over and over again to really dissect what went on during the lesson, what worked for the students and myself, and what didn't.
MTruesdell wrote about the importance of asking and encouraging students to read the entire sentence. I agree with her thoughts that many teachers, including myself, stop students at each mistake, miscue, or error, rather than letting them read the entire sentence. Some students will go back and correct their own mistakes after reading the entire sentence because they realize they made a mistake or something didn't make sense. I have found this during my tutoring for our common course assignment. My student does this a lot. She goes back and corrects her mistakes after realizing that what she read the first time didn't make any sense.
This is in response to Monteleone’s entry on using familiar text time to practice their reading skills. This is beneficial because it allows them to take a work they enjoy and practice their skills. For instance, in my after school literacy program I have students spend the last 10-15 minutes doing silent reading on a novel of their choice. We sometimes try to make connections to our own lives or another text, a prediction, or practice a skill that we learned that day in the program. This hopefully will help them become much more independent and successful with their reading in the future.
In response to Truesdell’s entry on changing your hypothesis, I feel that it is also a good characteristic to have as a teacher. It is sometimes difficult for me to plan more than a week in advance because things change so rapidly. It is good for the kids that I will change something up in the middle of the lesson, but since I am on a rotation I only get 13 weeks with each set of students for my writing program, so I sometimes feel I am racing against the clock with certain things. Hopefully I can practice this much more effectively with a one-on-one setting with the QRI and lessons.
In response to M. Truesdell's 3rd comment about having the student read to the end of the sentence: I think many teachers are guilty of just telling the student the word they are stuck on. I think many do this because they are unaware of having the students use alternative strategies (sound out word, picture clues, reading to the end of the sentence) in figuring out a word. I think this problem will change through staff development for teachers. The emphasis put upon reading in all school districts now will educate all teachers on the various reading strategies.
I agree with C. Croff's 3rd comment about how every student will not use every reading strategy, even after being modeled by the teacher. Some students might need additional modeling, time and other options in order to make meaning from the text. Once these other options have been explored and no marked progress has occurred I would have the student evaluated by the reading specialist. I would do this to make sure the teacher didn't miss something before going to the special education committee for further evaluation.
I agree with Casie Croff in reflection #2. I have my students peruse what we are reading to see if there are any unknown words before we begin to read, as well as go over vocablulary that I have picked out of the reading. Vocabulary is a very important part of learning to read.
I agree with I Polizzi in reflection #4. Just because one strategy works for one child does not mean that the same strategy will work for another child with the same problem. We need to have a big bag of resources to pull from when we are working with struggling readers. The important thing is to keep trying, use different things to help the student learn to read. If some things aren't working, try the next one.
I agree with D. Brown that there are so many instructional levels within one classroom and it is very difficult to reach all students. It just adds to the multi-demensional classroom and is one more obstacle that we all need to face daily. I find this gets even more difficult as students get older and the gap in reading ability grows.
I also agree with M.Carter that determining text level, and choosing appropriate text is very difficult. I often times pick a text that is either way to easy or way too hard! I think it a skill that I still need to work on.
In Response to C.Croff's fifth point, I agree with the idea of teachers trying to find more than one strategy that will be useful for the reader. It only makes perfect sense. Active readers use multiple strategies and they avoid the strategies that do not work for them. Any student needs access to a library of strategies and then they can select which work for them. The teacher needs to work with those student who do not know of or do not know how to use different strategies. Once we can present them to the students then we'll see some success.
ReplyDeleteI agree with K.Obrien's first point about vocabulary. Teachers rush vocabulary lessons, I feel. Teachers who just present the word then the definition and think that students will learn need to change their lessons. Not many people can just remember a set of new words in one lesson or so. However, if teachers take the time to introduce the words, connect them with the book or students' experiences then I feel that the rate of vocabulary acquisition will increase.
K. O'Brian stated: "After the targeted vocabulary words were introduced and a discussion about how these words related to the selection was conducted, the second segment was read with an error rate of 1/50 and 90% comprehension." p. 123
ReplyDeleteIf only all teachers could understand this. I think targeted vocabulary is a huge piece of the "Meaning Puzzle" with comprehending texts. Many teachers assume students know the vocabulary words, but many don't have a clue. If the time was taken by teachers to review the vocabulary ahead of time-most students would be able to construct meaning of text much easier!
In regards to this point, I am not an English teacher, but just from doing the QRI on one of my students, I have learned how important vocabulary is and how tricky it can be to diagose reading difficulties. For example my student was able to read all of the word lists at an instructional or independent level. So this might lead one to believe that she understood what she was reading or what these words meant, however as evident from her scores on the reading passages, this definitely is not true. I welcome the strategies to help her learn vocabulary because this may be one of the things we work on as I tutor her.
C. Croff said...
ReplyDeleteKey Point #1: For this student, a text that was read near frustration without teacher direction could be read at independent reading level with instruction by the teacher.
Reflection: I think this goes to show that proper instruction can result in improvement in reading achievement. Struggling readers can make great strides in reading when they are given the proper tools and instruction to succeed. I have seen situations in which students try to complete a task or assignment independently, but give up or fail when they become frustrated. When they are offered some suggestions and guidance on how to approach the task or how to rethink their approach, they are able to complete the task or assignment independently. I think this helps students feel better about themselves and makes them more willing to approach challenging tasks in the future.
In regards to Casey's point, this leads me to believe that struggling readers can be best served if they are in classes with other struggling readers or those at the same reading level as them. Then instruction can be at their level, and tasks can be appropriate to their reading ability. However in the texts that we have read, they all state that heterogeneous grouping is what is best for students... leading me to wonder what is actually best for students. Maybe a heterogeneous English class with a homogeneous group of struggling readers in an extra literacy period? I would like to know what other schools do, and how other experts say we can be help our struggling students.
M. Truesdell said...
ReplyDeleteModifications of hypothesis can occur as the teacher responds to the student's needs during instruction.
When we first started reading this text, I thought how can I change up my entire lesson plan during my lesson? Then I finished a week long substitute job in a second grade class and I realized that this is what good teachers, including myself do everyday. We figure out mid-lesson what is working and what is not and then we adjust. We assess how each student is doing and then we continue on accordingly.
I think that you make a good point in regards to the spontaneous interventions that 'good' teachers do everyday - often times seemingly without thinking. It seems natural to teachers who have been doing it a while, however for newer teachers who are unfamiliar with the content or more concerned about what they are doing than what the students are doing, it is not so easy. However providing interventions and adjusting as necessary is crucial to good instruction and is a key to student success. This is also one of the perks that comes with experience!
I agree with c.croff when she states "I think this goes to show that proper instruction can result in improvement in reading achievement. Struggling readers can make great strides in reading when they are given the proper tools and instruction to succeed." Poor readers can do so much more when we are able to sit down and help them. I just wonder, as a classroom teacher, where can this one-on-one or small group time be found? I think it would be great if reading teachers and classroom teachers could be more in sync so that the reading teacher knew what the classroom teacher thought the student needed help with and vice versa. Maybe if they both focused on the same things, the students would learn and retain the information better!
ReplyDeleteK. Obrien made a good point about vocabulary instruction when she states that if teachers went over the vocabulary before a reading, students would understand and gain more meaning from the reading. I have subbed in classrooms where I gave the students the five new vocabulary words and what the words meant as a mini-lesson. I also made sure to mention the words in the readings and where ever else I could find them. If we read a different story and the vocabulary words were in there, I mentioned them. If we had a few minutes at the end of the day and played hangman, I used the vocabulary words again. I think all this repetition and the use of the workds in context is waht helps students to retain the meanings. I would even have students would come up to me when they were reading something and they found a vocabulary word.
My response is to J Jones on her comment on teacher investment and how it is necessary to engage the student in an active interpretation of the text. As she teaches, the diagnostic teacher adjusts her instruction to the needs of the students. I think this passage is great. I agree with J Jones that it is hard as a beginning teacher. You never really know where your students will have trouble until you teach the lesson. I think as years go on and you teach the same lesson you know what worked and what has not. Also in that passage it talks about the teacher reflecting on the lesson. This is when you write down what went well and what did not.
ReplyDeleteMy response is to C Croff on the comment on the diagnostic teacher focuses on teaching rather than testing to reveal those instructional adjustments that produce reading change for a particular student. I often wonder sometime myself if teachers forget that there are other ways to determine if change or improvement has been made without testing. I think that the teacher observing and having class discussions are one of the best ways to check on change or improvements.
“ For this student, a text that was near frustration without teacher direction could be independent level with instruction by the teacher.”
ReplyDeleteConnie,
Your quotation from chapter 7 (above) reminds me of Vygotsky’s Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD), which essentially says, we teach at the level where our students are uncomfortable independently until they gradually develop the skills and confidence to work at that level on their own. Especially with students in the upper grades who have struggled at reading for so many years, I think is important as you highlighted that teachers recognize their role in helping students experience success and that they provide students with opportunities to experience success often.
Jennifer
“Prior to instruction, the diagnostic teacher decides on certain task conditions that will enhance learning for a particular student.”
ReplyDeleteKayleigh,
I think you make a really interesting point by reflecting on this passage as a differentiation strategy. You mentioned the imporance and successes you had with differentiating assessments, I think it was likely because the students were more successful (and thus were more motivated in future tasks). (I will have to look back at the text) but while I was reading your ideas I was wondering what sort of "conditions" Walker is refering to. I immediately thought of the readability of an assignment but I also wonder if Walker mentioned the importance of student choice and ownership in tasks.
Great selection.
Jennifer Jones
Karrie Jones responded to the following quote in her blog: “During the diagnostic lesson, records of the instructional modifications are kept so that the amount and kinds of teacher intervention can be identified.”
ReplyDeleteI agree with her thoughts about recording and reflecting on interventions used during instruction. I have found it very useful to videotape or have someone else to observe and offer advice for future lessons. These tapes and other professionals offer insight that you do not notice or see while you are teaching. Videotapes are also a great way to go back and pysically observe (first-hand) your own teaching styles, lessons, interventions during instruction, and how they affect student understanding. I have watched some lessons over and over again to really dissect what went on during the lesson, what worked for the students and myself, and what didn't.
MTruesdell wrote about the importance of asking and encouraging students to read the entire sentence. I agree with her thoughts that many teachers, including myself, stop students at each mistake, miscue, or error, rather than letting them read the entire sentence. Some students will go back and correct their own mistakes after reading the entire sentence because they realize they made a mistake or something didn't make sense. I have found this during my tutoring for our common course assignment. My student does this a lot. She goes back and corrects her mistakes after realizing that what she read the first time didn't make any sense.
ReplyDeleteThis is in response to Monteleone’s entry on using familiar text time to practice their reading skills. This is beneficial because it allows them to take a work they enjoy and practice their skills. For instance, in my after school literacy program I have students spend the last 10-15 minutes doing silent reading on a novel of their choice. We sometimes try to make connections to our own lives or another text, a prediction, or practice a skill that we learned that day in the program. This hopefully will help them become much more independent and successful with their reading in the future.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Truesdell’s entry on changing your hypothesis, I feel that it is also a good characteristic to have as a teacher. It is sometimes difficult for me to plan more than a week in advance because things change so rapidly. It is good for the kids that I will change something up in the middle of the lesson, but since I am on a rotation I only get 13 weeks with each set of students for my writing program, so I sometimes feel I am racing against the clock with certain things. Hopefully I can practice this much more effectively with a one-on-one setting with the QRI and lessons.
In response to M. Truesdell's 3rd comment about having the student read to the end of the sentence: I think many teachers are guilty of just telling the student the word they are stuck on. I think many do this because they are unaware of having the students use alternative strategies (sound out word, picture clues, reading to the end of the sentence) in figuring out a word. I think this problem will change through staff development for teachers. The emphasis put upon reading in all school districts now will educate all teachers on the various reading strategies.
ReplyDeleteI agree with C. Croff's 3rd comment about how every student will not use every reading strategy, even after being modeled by the teacher. Some students might need additional modeling, time and other options in order to make meaning from the text. Once these other options have been explored and no marked progress has occurred I would have the student evaluated by the reading specialist. I would do this to make sure the teacher didn't miss something before going to the special education committee for further evaluation.
I agree with Casie Croff in reflection #2. I have my students peruse what we are reading to see if there are any unknown words before we begin to read, as well as go over vocablulary that I have picked out of the reading. Vocabulary is a very important part of learning to read.
ReplyDeleteI agree with I Polizzi in reflection #4. Just because one strategy works for one child does not mean that the same strategy will work for another child with the same problem. We need to have a big bag of resources to pull from when we are working with struggling readers. The important thing is to keep trying, use different things to help the student learn to read. If some things aren't working, try the next one.
ReplyDeleteI agree with D. Brown that there are so many instructional levels within one classroom and it is very difficult to reach all students. It just adds to the multi-demensional classroom and is one more obstacle that we all need to face daily. I find this gets even more difficult as students get older and the gap in reading ability grows.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with M.Carter that determining text level, and choosing appropriate text is very difficult. I often times pick a text that is either way to easy or way too hard! I think it a skill that I still need to work on.